Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Sparkle and Stickers

I did some layering tonight, and it's not one of my favorites, but I got to experiment a little, which is always fun, and they are sparkly!


I've surprised myself by falling completely in love with green polish. I never would have guessed that I would amass a collection of various greens, but it's one of my favorite colors to wear. I found this one when my favorite, Sally Hansen Insta Dri in Jade Jump, started to run out, and I realized to my horror that I couldn't find it again anywhere! A perfect seafoamy mint green had become an essential to my collection, so I went in search of a replacement.

Nothing can replace your favorite green, but this one is nice. This color is Retro Mint from Wet n Wild Megalast, a mint green with a hint of silver sparkle. I also used this color in my rainbow gradient earlier this week, and when I saw how pretty my holo polish, Glitter Gal's Turbulence, looked dabbed on top, I had to try it for a whole nail. The black is Sally Hansen Triple Shine in Slick Black. It's a soft black with fine sparkles throughout.

Left to Right: Retro Mint, Slick Black, and Retro Mint with Turbulence as a topper
I had some doubts about these together, and I still think I'd like to try Retro Mint with a nude, but the black made this pastel a little edgier. I swiped a thin layer of Turbulence over all of the green nails and put a fan brush glitter gradient of Julep Joelle over all of them to add some extra holographic goodness. Then as a finisher, I added a sticker from Kiss Nail Artist to each of the black nails. I really like these stickers a lot. One pack has lasted me forever, they're easy to apply, and they always look so cute.

One thing I have to say: I haaaated both of these brushes. I think I'm in the minority that prefers a thinner, rounder brush to a wide, flat one, so your mileage may vary, but I do not like this flat "professional" brush trend at all. Maybe it's my small nails or squarish nail beds, but they make a huge mess compared to thinner brushes for me. Megalast has a variety of really nice colors, and I like Retro Mint's formula, but the brush has kept me from stocking up on this good quality, affordable line, and I was soooo disappointed at how similar the Triple Shine line brush is, since I'm a shine junkie. :(

Retro Mint (Megalast)
Slick Black (Triple Shine)
 Overall, this look is fine for a mid week replacement, but I'm already thinking what other colors I can layer under Turbulence, since this proved that it creates the effect I want. What do you think of these colors together?







No comments:

Post a Comment