Sunday, February 2, 2014

Fan Brush Gradient-Love It or Leave It?

I was feeling nail-restless tonight, so after trying out several nail looks and removing them (which is a no-no, try not to do that!), I decided to make good on my promise to show you the results of trying my favorite glitter gradient tool, the fan brush, with a solid color gradient. Results were mixed-take a look.

I started by trying out a few techniques. I painted all nails with one coat of Julep Misti (fair warning, it is much darker and greyer than shown on the website swatch). Then I did three tip styles with Julep Mona. I swear I use other brands, Julep colors just play well with one another. The index finger was a traditional french tip with a striper, the middle was the fan brush, and the little finger used the sponge technique I usually use.

Left to right: Striper, fan brush, makeup sponge
  Ultimately they're all nice in their own way, but I think the sponge is still my favorite technique for a solid color gradient. I'm giving it a shot though, so I added a fan brush gradient to all nails and I'll see how I feel about it in the morning. Words of warning: this tends to be a more saturated technique than the sponge, so it's hard to keep the individual brush strokes from showing close up. For me, this became even more obvious on my right hand (I'm right handed) because I had less control on the brush. Use a light hand, put a quick dry topcoat over it fairly quickly, and choose your colors wisely for the best blending. If you want to play around with it, you can see a step by step with glitter polish a few posts back here. For my finished result, scroll on.




No comments:

Post a Comment