Saturday, March 1, 2014

Weekend Nails: Ruffian

This weekend I tested out some new colors with a ruffian design. I've been on the fence about the ruffian, so it seemed like a fine weekend nail look. I have two different ruffian looks to offer up this weekend, plus a plethora of polish reviews.



The first of the colors I tried this weekend was Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Black and Blue. It's different than I thought it would be, and it is a quite complex color. Here's what it looks like in three coats:


I initially thought this would be a blue, but at first glance it's more green. However, it catches the light with a dusky blue-grey, which you catch a glimpse of in the side view photos. This is my first polish from the Complete Salon Manicure line. At first I wasn't thrilled about how thin the coats are, but it dried fairly quickly even with multiple coats, and the longer I wore it, the more dimension I saw in this color. I'm a sucker for peacock coloring and duochrome, so I do believe I'll wear this again.

To create my ruffian design, I chose (what else?) holo glitter, with Glitter Gal Turbulence layered over Sephora for OPI Frankly I Don't Give A-Dam to make it pop.


At the same time as I picked up Black and Blue, I also grabbed Sally Hansen Triple Shine in Statemint. It's a yellow based green that typically wouldn't be my speed (not a huge fan of neons), but I just knew it would look great with Julep Harriet, which I'd added on to my March Maven box. Here's what they look like with two coats:
See? Soulmates!
My ruffian was a little neater, but the creme finishes were much less forgiving than the shimmery polishes. I think I'll either use tape or stick to shimmers in the future. Both colors are nice, and together they have a sweet citrus look. I was afraid Harriet would be too similar to Nan (I love Nan, but I already have one), but it's more of a pinkish orange.


I liked the ruffian look and definitely think with practice and/or a little masking tape, this could be a look I wear often.

No comments:

Post a Comment