Sunday, August 17, 2014

Weekend Nails: Sheers

It's been a while since I've done a weekend nails post, and this one doesn't seem too exciting at first glance. I have some big nail art projects planned for the next few weeks, but I've been a bit under the weather and didn't feel up to anything dramatic this weekend. Instead, I surprised myself by choosing some of the sheer polishes in my collection.


I much prefer opaques over bare nails or sheers about 360 days a year. I like full coverage and am annoyed by any peek of VNL. When I saw Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in Cold As Ice, I was enthralled by the shimmery pink and orange shift. I'm not sure how I looked at this polish and expected it not to be sheer, but there ya go. I got it home, tried it on, and didn't pick it up again until this weekend. I started out with American Classics Bridge The Ridge basecoat. This gave a matte glaze and helped even out the color of my polish stained tips. Then I added two coats of Cold As Ice and topcoated.

This mani was pretty and simple, but I couldn't leave well enough alone, because everything looks better with glitter. I pulled out another pretty sheer that was languishing in my collection, Sally Hansen Nail Growth Miracle in Misty Rose. Misty Rose is a very, very sheer pink with tiny pink, silver, and green glitter that gives an all over sparkle. The combination brought out some of the purple sheen in both, making for a surprisingly complex mani that warmed even my sheer-hating heart. Then I finished with Sally Hansen Super Shine top coat; not a quick drying formula, but I didn't have any issues with it.

Plain nails have a place-it's a good idea to let the nails breathe occasionally-but a matte basecoat and the right sheer polish is like wearing natural makeup. It doesn't scream 'look at me,' but it shows off the hard work of maintaining beautiful, healthy nails while hiding some of the unfortunate side effects of my beloved opaque shades. How do you wear your sheers?

No comments:

Post a Comment